Let me start by making a statement that you may or may not agree with – being heterogeneous is often a problem in need of a solution…not a strategy. Allow me to explain…
Are you ready for all that is cloud?? VMware recently released a cloud self-assessment questionnaire that walks you through your organization’s readiness in the following categories (from the site):
- Strategy – Aligning business needs with IT capability.
- Process – Streamlining and automating processes to achieve business agility.
- Architecture – Establishing an enterprise architecture for this new IT infrastructure.
- Technology – Designing and deploying your technology infrastructure from virtualization to cloud.
- People and Governance – Creating the roles and skills necessary to ensure company-wide adoption, and the accountability framework and policies for stakeholder collaboration.
The value proposition for a “green fields” cloud is reasonably clear — building new environment within vCloud’s framework helps enterprises add all the wonderful things above while streamlining:
- Security – Integration and auto-provisioning of vShield Edge and multi-tenant security boundaries
- Governance – Integration with Active Directory at the organizational level for tight security and control
- Resource Allocations – defining resource allowances through the use of virtual data centers (ex: vDCs)
- Agility / On-Demand Resources – utilizing vCloud’s allocation models to provide critical resources only as they are needed
- Cost Transparency – Integration with cloud-aware Chargeback
- Automation – using vClouds template libraries to rapidly deploy workloads within and across tenant clouds
- Efficiency – further driving resource utilization using innovative technologies, automation, and governance
- IT-as-a-Service – offering a highly automated, low-maintenance cloud infrastructure to consumers and allow IT to focus on delivering innovations that drive revenue growth